Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What's The Plan Stan?

I was in the gym the other day and my friend Andrew asked me what I was doing.  (Obviously I was working out but he was asking about my exercise routine.)  I briefly told him about the 4 week plan that I am currently doing from Men's Health Magazine.  Andrew said, "You're into plans aren't you?"  I quickly answered yes but I have been thinking about it ever since. 


I am into plans.  In my experience, plans work.  And even if plans don't work, you are probably better off than you would be without one.  I like workout plans because they remind me what to do everyday so that I can push myself to get better.  When the plan is over I am able to see its effectiveness based on my strength and endurance.  Without a workout plan, I would just go hang out in the gym and not get any stronger.

I like plans for other areas of my life. 

I have a plan for my finances (combo between Dave Ramsey and Robert Kiyosaki).  I have a plan for my education (read 2 books each month until I begin my PhD).  The purpose of this post is not to tell you about my plans but rather to say that I have learned that the old saying "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" is definitely true.  I have a plan for my marriage, career, health, life, future, and pretty much anything you can think of. 

Do my plans always work?  Absolutely not.  And when they don't, I simply check out the situation and make a new plan. 

Unfortunately, many people spend more time planning the wrong things. 
People spend more time planning their wedding than their marriage. 
People spend more time on the plans for their new house and than the plans for paying for it. 
People spend more time planning a week long vacation than they do the next 5 years of their life.  People spend more time planning a meal than they do planning their health.
People spend more time planning a toddler's birthday party that they won't remember than planning to develop their character, let alone their college fund.

Plans work.  What's your plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment