Friday, June 4, 2010

Be More Specific

I recently celebrated my 27th birthday.  To be honest I wasn't too excited about it except for the fact that it was the last day before summer vacation.  Little did I know, my wife arranged for me to receive 27 encouraging letters from 27 of my favorite people.  I received them randomly throughout the day and each one made my day brighter and brighter.  By the way, this is a wonderful idea.  This is one of my favorite birthday gifts and it didn't cost any money.  The best things in life really are FREE!

It is always great to receive kind and encouraging words from anyone.  However, it is so much better to receive specific expressions of encouragement and appreciation from the people we love, admire, and respect.  In other words, telling someone "You're doing a great job!" is nice but it is better to take the time to tell them exactly what you like about them and why.  It could be a letter, email, facebook message, text, phone call, or a good old fashioned look 'em in the eye compliment.  It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you do it.  Don't assume they know how you feel.  Speak up and let them know.

Who can you specifically encourage today?  I promise it will make their day.


Thank you to everyone that took the time to make me feel special on my birthday...especially my wonderful wife!  I will never forget it!

1 comment:

  1. my pleasure :) it sure wasn't hard to find 27 people that love and admire you. you are an incredible man Brett Bradley. thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete