Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

It's Father's Day and Dad's are so hard to shop for.  At least my Dad is.  I mean what do you get the Man who taught you how to ride a bike, hit/throw/catch/shoot/kick a ball, shoot a BB gun, tie a tie, study, drive, do magic tricks, scare people, pee outside, buy a house/car, invest, go to church, work hard, shave, and so much more?  Any gift I get will be nothing compared to the food, water, shelter, clothing, toys, electronics, car, education, lessons, etc... that my Dad provided for me.  (Thank you for teaching me all of these things dad.  I hope my future kids feel the same about me as I feel about you.)

And then I remember what I learned on Mother's Day and I will give the best gift that I can give:  Some Quality Time.  For me it's a Redhawks game, watching the game that my Dad taught me how to play and love.  For you it could be fishing, golfing, camping, hiking, painting, wood-working, or whatever your Dad likes to do.  You can give your Dad any gift you want, but remember to add some quality time.

Unfortunately, I am also aware that not everyone had the privilege of being raised by a Father so their Mom had to do double duty.  If that is the case, please make sure you recognize your Mom (or other father figure) for the extra work they took on to provide for you.  Might as well spend some extra quality time with them.  Remember, time is finite.  It is the only gift that cannot be returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment