Wednesday, July 13, 2011
5 Ways to Beat The Heat
1. Wake up early. We can learn from roofers and construction workers. Change your personal hours during the summer to wake up earlier to get outside work done before it gets too hot. You can go for a jog, work in the yard, chip and put on the practice greens at your local golf course, or take your kids to play in the park all before 8am.
2. Go to the Library. The library is one of the most under utilized resources in America. Not only is it fully air conditioned, but you can also check out books, audio books, DVDs, and CDs all FOR FREE! If they don't have what you want you can request it and they will usually get it for you. Let me say that again. You can read any book or magazine, watch almost any movie, and listen to almost any music absolutely free. Do you understand what that can do for your budget?
3. The Mall. People watching, mall walking, and window shopping are classic mall activities. You can also Google mall scavenger hunts and come up with a ton of other fun ideas. Also, many places offer extremely cheap matinee movies and some stores like Apple offer free training sessions.
4. Day at the Museums. I know museums can be boring but everything can be boring with a bad attitude. If you really want to stay out of the house and stay out of the heat then check out your local museums. It's a great way to learn about local history and expand your mind. They usually cost money but there are always discount coupons online.
5. Serve. Ever wonder who puts all the pens and envelopes on the back of every chair at church? Or who puts the extra insert into the bulletin? It could be you. Small tasks like that effect everyone and can make a big difference to a secretary or to a volunteer who needs a break.
[For more ways to beat the heat, ask the Dallas Mavericks. :) ]
What are some free/cheap ways you like to stay out of the house and out of the heat?