Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Favorite FREE Things

Here is a list of my favorite FREE things of 2010.  These 6 things have changed my life by making it easier, better, fuller, and more enjoyable.  The great thing is, if you are reading this then you have access to all of these things as well!  The items are in random order.


1.  The Library - I recently rediscovered the library and have literally saved hundreds of dollars.  Obviously you are aware that you can check out books for free and even audio books on request.  Books are $15-$30 these days and that adds up.  However, did you know that you can check out most major CD's and Movies as well?  They may not have them in stock but you can request them and they will order them for you.  It's unbelievable!  On top of that,  most major library systems are getting electronic copies of books for the iPad and other e-readers so you can temporarily download books!  Head to your local library and rediscover it's greatness!

2.  A Million Miles In A Thousand Years - This is my favorite book of 2010 and borderline my favorite book of all time.  Author Donald Miller writes about how to live a better story.  It is an easy read but very thought provoking and challenging.  I literally couldn't put it down and read it in 2 settings.  Check it out for FREE @ your local library or if you have to buy it you can get it for less than 20 bones online or at your local bookstore.  You can learn more about the book and the author at donmilleris.com.


3.  Twitter - There is so much more to Twitter than telling people your every move.  Twitter guru @ScottWilliams describes Twitter as a river of constantly flowing information.  This year I read more via Twitter than I read books or magazines combined.  Twitter also allows me to learn directly from high profile leaders that I wouldn't normally come into contact with on a regular basis.  Words of wisdom from leaders such as Seth Godin, Rick Warren, Rev Run, Kevin East, Andy Stanley, David Busic, Craig Groeschel, Scott Williams, etc... are at my fingertips.  You can also stay current with friends, celebrities, professional athletes, and your favorite organizations.  Twitter also keeps me up to date on national and local news, sports scores, and the latest coupons.  Open a free account online at twitter.com.

4.  Air-1 Radio - I found out about Air-1 about 4 years ago and I haven't listened to another radio station since.  (Unless I'm in the Dallas area and I listen to Mix 102.9 to hear the velvet voice of my good friend Josh Hart.)  All the music they play is uplifting, encouraging, and positive.  My day is better when I listen to Air-1.  In OKC it's 90.9 FM but you can check the station in your area or listen online at Air1.com.  



5.  Groupon - Okay this really hasn't changed my life that much but I had to include it because the idea is so genius.  Groupon provides consumers half-price coupons to restaurants, spas, stores, and other services while providing customers and major advertisement to vendors.  Talk about a win-win situation!  This is great for everyone involved.  I personally like it because it allows me to take my wife on dates to upscale restaurants that we would never go to if it weren't for the half price Groupons.  For more information check out groupon.com.


6.  Google - This seems obvious because Google has changed the life of everyone with a computer.  However, did you know that Google is SO MUCH MORE than a search engine?  Google Earth is mind blowing!  Their e-mail service is the best in the business.  You can create Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents and have access to them online with Google Docs.  You can create online invitations, sign-ups, surveys, and teachers can even create online tests for free with Google FormsThis blog is even powered by Google!  These are just the few features that I have used.  Check out all that Google has to offer here.


What FREE  things have changed your life this year?

1 comment:

  1. Love all of that stuff! I need to read #2 and totally agree with #4! It changes my whole day!

    ReplyDelete