Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chivalry or Equality?

There are many controversial issues in the world today.  I usually avoid such issues at all costs but I found this particular one interesting.  Its been around for a while but I've never heard it this way.

Scenario:  A wrestler made it to the state tournament and his first round opponent was a girl.  The boy respectfully forfeit because he was raised not to physically harm a girl and would not feel comfortable in some of the holds.

Since his decision, the male wrestler has been called chauvinistic, sexist, and chivalrous.

To be honest, I would probably have done the same thing.  Obviously this girl is a good wrestler because she made it to state but in my opinion that does not give me the right to wrestler her.  However, I understand the Women's Rights Movement was intended to make women equal to men.  Therefore, it would be disrespectful to treat this female wrestler differently by choosing not to wrestle her.

If this is the case, what is the balance between Chivalry and the equality fought for during Women's Rights?

As a man, I view it as choosing the lesser of the two evils and I will choose the one that does not involve potential physical harm every time.

What do you think ladies?
Is it more respectful to treat a girl as an equal and wrestle her as an opponent or to respectfully decline the match?
What would you want your son to do?
What would you want someone to do to you?


Please leave a comment below or on the facebook post.  I am curious to hear your perspective.

1 comment:

  1. I would want my son to forfeit, and if I were the one wrestling, I'd get my head examined before another move was made. :) Equality actually doesn't seem to apply all too well in this situation because girls should be wrestling girls and boys should wrestle boys if they're going for the fair factor, right? Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete