Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Public Praise

Today I learned that public praise is a good thing.  As I sit in a meeting with 50 or so people giving praises to colleagues I could not help but wish that people would save their praises for another time so we could get out early.  I mean really.  We are all teachers but not from the same school so we are at most acquaintances.  We can tell our colleagues this privately tomorrow so lets just cut the crap and go home.
Then someone decided to praise me publicly and all of the sudden I had the urge to wait a little bit longer.  Kind words are always nice to hear, especially in front of a group.  I realized that it is possible that this setting would be the only time that someone would feel comfortable giving a colleague praise since it can sometimes be awkward one on one.

Now I realize that there are those of you out there that claim to hate being praised publicly because it embarrasses you.  I used to be one of those people but have grown to enjoy the feeling of kind words in front of an audience.

Challenge:  Look for good things about someone that you can brag on them about in your next group setting.  You will enjoy it as much as they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment