Saturday, April 3, 2010

Why You Can't Get Started

As I'm trying to figure out this whole blogging thing, there are a few aspects that have hindered my productivity.

First, I wanted to come up with a good blog title. Not just a good one, the best blog title. Something catchy. Something intriguing. Something deep. Something that I would be proud of and that people will one day be proud to say that they read.

Second, I want to make sure my blog layout was just right. The background should be appealing but not so much so that it takes away from the reading. The layout should be easy to follow so readers will not get confused. When guests visit my page I want them to feel comfortable and excited.

Both of these things are important. However, the problem is they are mere details and I didn't decide to blog because I wanted people to know that I can create a catchy title and an organized layout. I decided to blog to improve my writing skills and share the knowledge that has impacted my life so that it may impact the lives of others.

Many people have the same problem of getting caught up in the details of their own lives. They want to start a business but focus too much on the right name, accountant, and lawyer and lose their entrepreneurial spirit. People want to lose weight and get into shape but can't find the perfect gym or diet plan. People want to serve others but can't find the perfect church or organization to do so. People want to have a successful marriage but instead focus on an exceptional wedding. The list is endless.

A sermon by Scott Williams* at Lifechurch.tv reminded me to stop trying to figure out all of the details and just take the next step*. I'm not going to automatically be an excellent blogger with thousands of "followers" if I focus more on titles and layout. I just need to take the next step, create a blog and start writing.

What is it that you have been wanting to do? Focus on Why you want to do it, take the next step, and the What, Where, & How will follow. Don't put it off any longer. Take the next step today!

*side notes*
Taking a step of Faith always makes me think of Indian Jones and the Last Crusade when Harrison Ford just steps out into thin air and a bridge starts to form under his feet with each step.

*Thank you to Scott Williams for your encouragement. Your example is even more powerful than your words.

No comments:

Post a Comment