Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What If Dreams Don't Come True?

I am a baseball player at heart.  I played in my back yard, anytime the field was open, summer-ball, fall-ball, winter-ball, and of course in the spring.  My passion for baseball paid my way through college and introduced me to a lot of people, experiences, places, and stories.  I was even named after hall of famer George Brett.  Needless to say, ever since I could remember I wanted to be a professional baseball player and I paid my dues in order to get there.

Then it happened.  I'm not sure if it happened gradually or instantly but it happened.

I had a self realization that I was not going to make it as a professional baseball player.  I either needed to double my efforts or find a new dream.  All of my time and hard work was not wasted but it was clear that I was not going to make it to the Majors.  I didn't cry.  I wasn't depressed.  I wasn't angry.  I was confused.  What do you do when you realize that your dream can't come true?  My plan A didn't work and I really hadn't even thought about plan B.  I didn't want to give up but I also didn't want to be that guy that plays independent ball or in the minors (JV for the majors) for years when I could be starting something new.  I needed something else to focus on, something to put this new time and energy into.

Then it happened.  I'm not sure if it happened gradually or instantly but it happened. 

I had a self realization that I was going to make it as a big time _________________.  My 4 seasons would be filled with _______________ instead of baseball and I would focus all of my time and energy on being the best _____________ that I could be.  People would know me as a _____________ instead of a baseball player. (You fill in the blanks for you.)

You could re-read this post and substitute your dreams in place of baseball and it would sound familiar. 

You can either double your efforts on your current dream or direct all the time and energy into another one.  It is good to chase your dreams.  However, there has to be that day/moment/time of self realization when it is time to hang it up and start afresh.  When one dream ends, another begins.

Where are you in the pursuit of your dreams?  Do you need to double your efforts or start afresh?  What are you going to fill your blanks with?

No comments:

Post a Comment